This privacy notice aims to give you information on how I collect and process your personal data through your use of this website, including any data you may provide through this website when you: sign up to my newsletter/purchase a product OR service.
This website is not intended for children and I do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
You must read this privacy notice together with any other privacy notice I may provide on specific occasions when I am collecting or processing personal data about you so that you are fully aware of how and why I am using your data. This privacy notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
BREASTFEEDING DOCTOR LTD (Private Limited by Shares, Company number: 13235026) is owned and run by Dr Sharon Silberstein who is the data controller registered with the Information Commissioners Office. As a registered IBCLC Dr Sharon Silberstein is required by the IBCLC Code of Conduct to respect people’s right to privacy and confidentiality so protecting your privacy is fundamental to my practice. I am also a member of the General Medical Council (GMC) and the Independent Doctors Federation (IDF) I am required by these bodies to maintain professional standards in all areas of my practice which includes record keeping and safe storage of my documents and pictures I may take for documentation purposes. This notice explains what information I collect from you, why I collect this information, under what circumstance this information may be shared, how long it is stored and how you can access it.
My email address is email@example.com
My postal address is: 6 Purcells Ave, HA8 8DT
My website address is https://www.breastfeedingdoctor.co.uk/
If you are not happy with any aspect of how I collect and use your data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). I would be grateful if you would contact me first if you do have a complaint so that I can try to resolve it for you.
During our contacts by phone, text, messenger, email, via the contact page on our website, via social media and face to face I will collect and record personal information about you and your baby. This information will include medical information relevant to the issue you are seeing me about. I may use your contact information to contact you at a later date for the purposes of follow up. Whilst I take steps to ensure your information is secure communications by text, email, messenger, social media and my website may not be secure so keep this in mind when using these methods.
I am required by IBCLC code of ethics to keep clear and accurate records relevant to my practice. This is to enable me to contact you and to provide safe and effective care for you and your baby. These records, which will contain your personal/medical information and that of your child, include summaries of our consultations and copies of emails and any other messages you’ve sent to me during our conversations together where necessary. They are stored on electronic devices which are password protected and have security software installed. I also store paperwork in a locked metal filing cabinet.
I require your explicit consent for processing sensitive data (medical information) and I will request this.
I may use your infant’s information, anonymised, without notice; for auditing or research purposes.
I may also use consultation data as case studies, anonymised, without notice for auditing or research or training purposes.
Before we enter a consultation situation I require a signed contract between you and I, in agreement of these topics.
How I use your personal data
I will only use your personal data when legally permitted. The most common uses of your personal data are:
- Where I need to perform the contract between us.
- For you to book in using my online booking system (Cliniko)
- Necessary for our legitimate interests.
- Where I need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Purposes for processing your personal data
Set out below is a description of the ways I intend to use your personal data and the legal grounds on which I will process such data. I have also explained what our legitimate interests are where relevant.
I may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground, depending on the specific purpose for which I am using your data.
For the purpose of fulfilling my contract with you i.e., when evaluating situation and proposing treatment plan, along with follow up care, payment processing I will use the following data Identity
- Contact details
- Financial details
- Medical details.
- For you to make an online booking
When visitors leave comments on the site, I collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
This site uses a contact form for you to contact us. The information is used to track back to your query and continue our communications. It is not sold or passed on or used for advertising unless stated.
I will request information I need to provide my services effectively and safely. I retain email data shared over email for 3 months from our last contact, I consider a legitimate reason for keeping your data for that time frame being in case you come back to me weeks later so you do not have to repeat yourself. For consultations I will only request information that I need in order to provide my services effectively and safely. I will retain the record of the consult until your child is 28 years of age (10 years, post 18) as is required by my insurance providers. At which time, the information will be destroyed securely. Your information will not be used for marketing purposes. The Data held about you will include name, age, address, email, your child’s name and date of birth, medical history, consultation notes, and may include a baby’s weight chart, care plan and a report to your GP. Information may be shared with your health professionals (see below).
I will not share any information with anyone except in the following circumstances
- With your consent I may contact your midwife, GP, HV or other healthcare professionals involved in your care and share relevant information to enhance the care of you and your baby. For example, I may write to your GP to request a prescription for a nipple infection or phone your health visitor to discuss extra support.
- Should I have a concern about the safety of your child then I have a legal and professional obligation to share relevant information with the relevant agencies and in this case your consent is not required.
- Anonymised data may be used and shared for the purpose of internal and external audits/research.
- In the event of a complaint or claim relevant information will be shared, with your consent, with my indemnity provider and legal team.
- Photographs may be used to form part of our consultation record, for educational and publicity purposes but only with your consent.
- Transaction and financial data may be shared with my accountant, bank, card payment machine provider and with HMRC in certain circumstances.
- I have put in place what I believe are appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, access to your personal data will be limited to myself or my administration staff only. Access to consultation records and emails which may include medical data will be restricted to Dr Silberstein only except in the circumstances listed above.
- In the event of a personal data breach, I will notify you and any applicable regulator of the breach where I am legally required to do so.
- I will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes I collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
- To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, I consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which I process your personal data and whether I can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
- By law I have to keep basic information about our customers (including Contact, Identity, Financial and Transaction Data) for six years after they cease being customers for tax purposes.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data. These include the right to:
- Request access to your personal data.
- Request correction of your personal data.
- Request erasure of your personal data.
- Object to processing of your personal data.
- Request restriction of processing your personal data.
- Request transfer of your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent.
- You can see more about these rights at:
- If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, please email
No fee required – with some exceptions
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, I may charge a reasonable admin fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, I may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What I may need from you
I may need to request specific information from you to help me confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. I may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
I try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take me longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made a number of requests. In this case, I will notify you and keep you updated.
Dr Silberstein reserves the right to charge the full fee in cases of non-attendance to booked appointments. Cancellations mean that other families who could have had this slot have to wait longer. If you cancel your appointment within 24 hours of the booked time, no refunds will be given and if you haven’t already paid you will be invoiced the full cost of the consultation, payable within 7 days. In the unlikely event of you needing to cancel within 48 hours of your appointment time, a £20 admin charge will be charged, and the remaining balance refunded to you. If you need to cancel up to 48 hours before your appointment time, a £10 admin charge will be charged, and the remaining balance refunded to you.
CHAPERONES FOR CONSULTATIONS AND EXAMINATIONS
Breastfeeding Doctor Ltd is committed to providing a safe, comfortable environment where the patients and staff can be confident that best practice is being followed at all times and the safety of everyone is of paramount importance.
All patients are entitled to have a chaperone present for any consultation, examination or procedure. The chaperone may be a relative, friend or member of staff.
In some circumstances the doctor may require a chaperone to be present.
If you would like a chaperone to be present, please tell the doctor before the start of the consultation.
If, during the consultation, an examination is required, the doctor will offer to provide a chaperone for this purpose. If the patient declines the offer of a chaperone, this will be recorded in the patient’s medical records.
Changes to this notice and your duty to inform me of changes
This version was last updated on 25/10/2022
Please keep me informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with me. It is important that the personal data I hold about you is accurate and current
Reliance on any information provided by Dr Silberstein is solely at your own risk. Dr Silberstein does not make any representations or warranties, express or implied, regarding consulting services provided. Dr Silberstein’s liability (if any) is limited to the consulting fee paid by you to Breastfeeding Doctor LTD and in no event will Dr Silberstein be liable to you for any other claim, losses or damages.
Industry regulatory disclosure requirements
I am an IBCLC which is a registered profession with IBLCE my current certification is L-155968 (valid until DEC/31/2024) you can verify me here: https://iblce.useclarus.com/view/verify/
I am a registered medical doctor, and you can verify me here: https://www.gmc-uk.org/doctors/7011392
What Are Cookies
You can prevent the setting of cookies by adjusting the settings on your browser (see your browser Help for how to do this). Be aware that disabling cookies will affect the functionality of this and many other websites that you visit. Disabling cookies will usually result in also disabling certain functionality and features of this site. Therefore, it is recommended that you do not disable cookies. This Cookies Policy was created with the help of the Cookies Policy Generator from CookiePolicyGenerator.com.
The Cookies that are Set
- Forms related cookies When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or comment forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
- Site preferences cookies in order to provide you with a great experience on this site I provide the functionality to set your preferences for how this site runs when you use it. In order to remember your preferences, I need to set cookies so that this information can be called whenever you interact with a page is affected by your preferences.
Third Party Cookies
- This site uses Google Analytics which is one of the most widespread and trusted analytics solutions on the web for helping us to understand how you use the site and ways that I can improve your experience. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site and the pages that you visit so I can continue to produce engaging content. For more information on Google Analytics cookies, see the official Google Analytics page.
- Third party analytics are used to track and measure usage of this site so that I can continue to produce engaging content. These cookies may track things such as how long you spend on the site or pages you visit which helps us to understand how I can improve the site for you.
- From time to time I test new features and make subtle changes to the way that the site is delivered. When I am still testing new features, these cookies may be used to ensure that you receive a consistent experience whilst on the site whilst ensuring I understand which optimisations our users appreciate the most.
Hopefully that has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren’t sure whether you need or not it’s usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on our site.
However, if you are still looking for more information then you can contact me through one of my preferred contact methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 07421 223577
- Address: 6 Purcells Ave, HA8 8DT